These Coconut Zucchini Muffins are healthy and packed with nutrients from coconut sugar and zucchini. They make the perfect pair with your morning coffee, tea, or glass of milk!
Happy first week of August! I can’t believe summer is almost over, but I’m excited for fall aka pumpkin season. It has been a super busy couple of weeks for us. We’ve been packing and moving to Jerry’s parents house temporarily until we move to our next home. Packing and cleaning up is not a favorite combo of mine and I haven’t had much time to experiment in the kitchen. However, before all this moving chaos started we had plenty of muffins in our home.
Last month I was on a muffin-baking roll. I tested far too many batches of zucchini muffins. We had muffins everyday to snack on, but no one was complaining around here. Our home smelled like a nice bakery. I tested this recipe four times! Is that normal? But, only because I could not remember the changes I made to batch #3. Note to self (make sure to write down all ingredients and measurements as soon as you’re done cooking). So recipe test #4 this week resulted into these yummy coconut zucchini muffins.
Zucchini is a summer favorite of mine and it’s packed with awesome nutrients and added moisture as mentioned in my last post. Coconut also adds some great health benefits to this recipe, so double plus there. I am a muffin fan, but I’m a bigger fan of healthier muffins that will make you feel guilt-free when you eat one. Instead of butter, I like to use applesauce and coconut oil in a lot of my baked goods. AND I recently discovered coconut sugar and have quickly fallen in love with it. Coconut sugar is packed with vitamins and minerals like, zinc, iron, and potassium, so bonus points there.
These muffins come together super quick. I changed the recipe a few times and decided to make coconut and zucchini the stars of these muffins. You can top these muffins with unsweetened shredded coconut to give them that extra coconut kick or just leave it out. Both options taste just as good. Walnuts are a must in my opinion unless you are allergic to nuts. I like topping these coconut zucchini muffins with chocolate chips because chocolate makes everything taste better. So, why not sprinkle a few pieces on top?
These muffins have become a new favorite of ours because they’re:
Not too sweet
Nutrient packed from coconut sugar and zucchini
Taste amazing with your morning coffee
Simple and delicious
So make yourself some muffins and pour yourself a nice warm cup of coffee and enjoy!
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup white all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 1 whole egg
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon
- In a separate bowl whisk together coconut sugar, vanilla, coconut oil, eggs (beaten) apple sauce, honey, and coconut milk
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and stir until combined, but do not over-mix
- Fold in grated zucchini and walnuts to mixture, stir until combined.
- Coat muffin liners with cooking spray, fill muffin liners evenly between 12 muffin liners
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and shredded coconut.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy!