As fall is approaching all I can think of is all the awesome pumpkin recipes, stews, harvest-y smells, baking and the holidays approaching… again! But, I’m not ready for summer to end just yet! Can time just slow down? The last few weeks have been hectic, family visiting, and really with no time to plan or create awesome things in the kitchen. The few times I did have to experiment were all recipe fails. But, this last weekend all I can say was that this Mexican Turkey Chili was a success. AND the best part is that it’s so simple and easy to put together.
There are so many chili variations out there, it’s hard to pick a favorite. This chili is far from your traditional soup-y chili recipe. I wanted to create a simple chili with some of my favorite Mexican cuisine ingredients and toppings. I just love the combination of cilantro, queso fresco, Mexican crema, oregano, garlic, beans and ground turkey. In my opinion all these toppings are a must! But, you can replace the Mexican crema with plain Greek yogurt for a healthier option. My intention was to use black beans, but was out of black beans, and kidney beans did not disappoint. Also, whenever possible I like using ground turkey because it’s a leaner meat. However, if you prefer to use regular ground meat or other meat of choice go for it, I’m sure it would taste just as good.
This chili is not too soup-y, so you can eat it as a dip with chips. I had this chili with corn tortillas (turkey chili tacos), and had some leftovers over brown rice, both options tasted amazing. Don’t you love a recipe that is pretty flexible and can eat in five or more ways!?
This Mexican Turkey Chili won’t disappoint because it’s:
Quick and simple
Hearty and healthy
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- ¼ cup white onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1lb ground turkey
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 15 oz can tomato sauce (low sodium)
- 15 oz can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- White onion, diced
- Avocado, diced
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Mexican Crema or plain Greek yogurt
- Crumbled queso fresco (Mexican cheese)
- Heat a medium size pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and minced garlic and cook for about three minutes
- Add ground turkey, oregano, chili powder, and salt
- Combine all ingredients together
- Cook until meat is brown
- Add tomato sauce and beans and stir until combined
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add toppings and serve over rice, pasta, eat with chips or your favorite side
You can replace the kidney beans with any beans of choice.